LET OFF THE HOOK
ISSUED BY CEDRIC FROLICK, MP
UDM SPOKESPERSON FOR MEMBERS' ETHICS AND INTERESTS
again the ANC has abused its parliamentary majority with impunity to undermine
and subvert parliamentary oversight, which is the primary function of Parliament
in a democracy. The UDM is dismayed and disgusted regarding:
1. The clearly proven parliamentary transgressions of Mr Yengeni, Chief Whip of
the Majority Party.
2. The disregard and contempt Mr Yengeni has shown towards the parliamentary
Ethics Committee, resulting in the issue being dragged out over two months?
3. The way in which the ANC, and its partner the IFP, abused their majority to
ensure that the Ethics Committee abdicate its responsibility.
4. The fact that the Ethics Committee has been subverted with the blatantly
deceptive and ridiculous argument that Yengeni's parliamentary transgressions
are somehow the responsibility of the arms deal investigators.
5. The repeated undermining of Parliament by the ANC through its Members of
Parliament and the Executive, which we have witnessed in the case of SCOPA, the
Ad hoc Committee on Maduna, the Safety and Security Committee on the Mbeki-plot
and now the Ethics Committee too.
6. The fact that Parliament and hence democracy is increasingly being brought
into disrepute by the ANC, threatening the very soul of the new South Africa.
Cedric Frolick, MP
UDM Spokesperson for Members' Ethics and Interests
083 - 709 0267
10 May 2001