UNITED DEMOCRATIC MOVEMENT
CORRUPTION IN WELFARE DEPARTMENT
STATEMENT ISSUED BY CEDRIC FROLICK, MP
THE UDM WOULD LIKE TO MAKE THE FOLLOWING REMARKS:
· Indication of bad statistics, with many provinces not supplying all the information.
· Indication of no statistics, with 4 provinces not supplying any information.
· The solution offered by the Minister is not a real solution.
· The Department has shown a complete inability in 5 years to address the problem.
· For re-registration to be successful the Department must ensure that the capacity to perform such an exercise exists. The Department must ensure that legitimate pension and welfare grant recipients do not suffer, during re-registration, as a result of its failure to fulfill its responsibilities.
· The total amount of corruption, in only one year, including that which is under investigation, is nearly R20 million. This is not the complete amount since the information from 4 provinces was not supplied.
· Civil servants guilty of corruption in the Department must be criminally prosecuted for abusing taxpayers’ money. Internal disciplinary hearings serve no purpose because perpetrators and guilty officials remain part of the system. Criminal prosecution will illustrate that Government is indeed committed to eradicate corruption.